Math Skills Game
Don’t Get Mad, Get Even
Help your child build math confidence as you bolster his ability to differentiate between even and odd numbers.
Math skills for children does not have to come with frustration and tears. Want a little extra math practice without the drudgery? Try this fun card game that teaches kids the different between odd and even numbers. While playing, kids will memorize addition facts. All you need is a deck of cards, and you’re ready to get started!
What You Need:
- Deck of playing cards with the face cards (jacks, queens, kings) removed
What You Do:
- Lay out all of the cards face up, in a horizontal line. For this game, aces= 1.
- Let your child know that he has one minute to pick out and remove the pairs of cards with even sums (for example, 2 + 6 = 8).
- Count and record how many cards remain. One card= 1 point.
- Tell your child that the fewer points he accumulates, the better.
- Shuffle the cards again and lay them out in a line. In this round, encourage your kid to try to remove more cards than he did the last time!
- In the final round, give your kid an unlimited amount of time to try to pair up and remove all of the cards. If he’s successful, tell him he gets to subtract 10 points from his score.
This game is great for subtraction and multiplication practice too!
Helpful tip: If you’re playing with more than one player, you might want to use multiple decks of cards.
Get more ideas at https://www.education.com/